UTSU Statement on Bahen Centre Death
RE: Bahen Centre on 17 March 2019
Toronto — On March 17th, the Toronto Police Service confirmed a death in the Bahen Centre on the St. George Campus.
The University of Toronto Students’ Union would like to extend our deepest condolences to the victim and those around them as we mourn this loss to our community. We are here to offer our support to any community members who may be affected by this tragedy, and we will recommit ourselves to tangible action to address the mental health epidemic on our campus.
We all express grief in different ways, and we encourage members of our campus to do what they need to process this loss. Please let us know if you need assistance with navigating resources or self-care. Below is a list of resources that folks may find helpful:
- Health and Wellness (on campus): (416) 978-8227
- Good 2 Talk Student Helpline: (1-866) 925-5454
- Anishnawbe Health Mental Health Crisis Line: (416) 891-8606
- Distress Centres: (416) 408-4357
- Gerstein Centre Mental Health Crisis Line: (416) 929-5200
- Ontario Mental Health Helpline: (1-866) 531-2600
We understand that it may be difficult to be in this space at this time. If you need help accessing any resources or supports, or would like help with course accommodations, please contact us.
Yours in service,
The UTSU Executive