The UTSU provides funding and other services to recognized clubs. A recognized club is a student group that has been granted recognition for the current recognition year. Recognized clubs are 1) entitled to apply for funding and 2) entitled to receive all other club services. Clubs Services are governed by the Clubs Policy, as outlined in the Policy Manual.
In order to be granted recognition, a student group must:
- Submit a completed application for recognition, consisting of: 1) a list of members and 2) confirmation of recognition by either the Division of Student Life or the Arts and Science Students’ Union;
- Abide by UTSU guidelines as outlined in our Clubs Policy; and
- Satisfy all of the minimum criteria for recognition listed below.
The recognition year begins on 1 May and expires on 30 April. Applications for recognition are reviewed by the Vice-President, Student Life.
The Vice-President, Student Life shall deny recognition to any student group that does not satisfy all of the following criteria:
- Recognized clubs must seek to make a positive contribution to the academic and/or cocurricular lives of University of Toronto students.
- Recognized clubs must not impede the legitimate, lawful activities of University of Toronto students.
- Recognized clubs must not discriminate on the basis of race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, family status, and/or disability.
- Recognized clubs must operate on a not-for-profit basis, such that all revenue is used to support the operations of the club.
- Recognized clubs must operate in a manner consistent with the University of Toronto Policy on Open, Accessible, and Democratic Autonomous Student Organizations.
- Recognized clubs must have at least thirty (30) members who are members of the UTSU.
- At least fifty percent (50%) of a recognized club’s leadership positions must be occupied by members of the UTSU.
- Student societies and student groups are not eligible for recognition.
Any decision to deny or revoke recognition shall be subject to ratification by the Clubs Committee. The club or student group in question shall be invited to address the Clubs Committee prior to the ratification vote.