About the UTSU Tax Clinic:
The UTSU in conjunction with the CRA (through the Community Volunteer Income Tax Program) provides FREE tax filing services to students. This is a peer to peer program with a practical and hands on application component. Currently the UTSU is recruiting for tax clinic volunteers.
- 50 volunteers needed (10 Supervisor Roles – minimum of 25 hours required including training and 40 Volunteer Roles – minimum of 20 hours required including training)
- Co-Curricular Record recognition of volunteer hours will be provided
- Supervision and mentoring will be provided during the Tax Clinic by the supervisors
- Term Length: March 10 – May 5, 2022
- Volunteer Role: 1 – 10 hours per week with minimum of 20 hours for the term between March and April 2022
- Supervisor Role: 5 – 10 hours per week with minimum of 30 hours for the term between March and April 2022
Volunteer Expectations & Requirements:
- Volunteers are required to do a minimum of 20 hours including training between March and end of April 2022
- Supervisors are required to volunteer a minimum of 30 hours including training between March and April 2022
- Tax clinics take place Monday-Friday during the day in-person at the Student Commons
- Must have access to a laptop that uses Windows 10
- Students will be asked to submit a schedule that works for them and within the program parameters
- Must have some tax experience, knowledge, willingness to learn and be comfortable with helping a student file their taxes
- Desirable skills:
- Technological aptitude
- Commitment to ethics and integrity
- Critical thinking
- Knowledge application to daily life
- The CRA provides online training which provides flexibility to students.
- The UTSU also provides a mandatory 2 hour training for students in early-mid March so that students are prepared to participate in the program and understand the expectations
- Please note: This training is in addition to the required 20 or 30 hour minimum during the service delivery period from March and April 2022
- You are a full-time student at the University of Toronto St. George Campus
- Have a flexible schedule to provide appointments for the tax clinics
- Able to organize and conduct tax sessions to support students
- You have excellent customer service skills
- You are able to work within a team and possess effective communication, organizational and interpersonal skills
- You can apply an equity and inclusion lens to understand the various issues that impact students
How To Apply:
- Please send a resume and cover letter expressing your interest, course work or work experience in the area of income taxes and interest in becoming a volunteer along with your winter 2023 weekly availability to: email@example.com
- All candidates will be considered and applications will be received until Friday December 9, 2022 or until all positions have been filled. All candidates will be considered and applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until positions are filled.
- Please note: Each student needs to obtain their own EFILE number which can take up to 30 days. Therefore, apply as soon as possible.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.