Start a Club
In order to be granted recognition, a student group must:
- Submit a completed application for recognition, consisting of a list of members and confirmation of recognition by either the Division of Student Life and/or the Arts and Science Students’ Union;
- Satisfy all of the criteria for recognition listed below
Recognition expires at the end of the recognition year in which it is granted.
The recognition year shall begin on 1 May and end on 30 April.
Applications for recognition shall be reviewed by the Vice-President, Student Life.
From the UTSU Clubs Policy:
The Vice-President, Student Life shall deny recognition to any student group that does not satisfy all of the following criteria:
- Recognized clubs must seek to make a positive contribution to the academic and/or co-curricular lives of University of Toronto students.
- Recognized clubs must not impede the legitimate, lawful activities of University of Toronto students.
- Recognized clubs must not discriminate on the basis of race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, creed, sex, sexual oritentation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, family status, and/or disability.
- Recognized clubs must operate on a not-for-profit basis, such that all revenue is used to support the operations of the club.
- Recognized clubs must operate in a manner consistent with the University of Toronto Policy on Open, Accessible, and Democratic Autonomous Student Organizations.
- Recognized Clubs must be at least thirty (30) members who are members of the UTSU
- At least fifty percent (50%) of a recognized club’s leadership positions must be current members of the UTSU. Student societies and services groups are not eligible for recognition.
Student societies and service groups are not eligible for UTSU clubs recognition.
Members of the UTSU refers to any full-time undergrad student enrolled at the UofT St. George Campus. Leadership positions are also referred to as club executive team positions. Members of the UTSU refers to those listed in Bylaw II – Membership. Any decision to deny or revoke recognition shall be subject to ratification by the Clubs Committee. The club or student group in question shall be invited to address the Clubs Committee prior to the ratification vote.
The UTSU is currently building a new application process for recognition. As we build this new infrastructure, for all clubs recognition applications, please email Neeharika Hemrajani, Vice-President Student Life, at firstname.lastname@example.org.