Tax clinic appointments.
March 12 -23, 2018 for students need to file 2014, 2015, 2016 taxes schedule TBA.
For the 2017 filing year, tax clinics run March 26 – May 4. Schedule TBA.
This service will provide free support to help you file your taxes. Sign up to have your one-on-one session with a CVITP volunteer. One appointment booking only. Please have all your tax documents on hand at your appointment and your SIN card. You are eligible to use this service if you earned less than $40,000 in the year of filing. For questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. For a list of documents to view, see below to find a suggested document listing. All appointments will be confirmed and you will receive an email confirmation.
Booking an appointment
Tax clinic appointments begin on March 27, 2017 and run each day Monday – Friday until May 4, 2017. This service will provide support to hundreds of students.
If you would like to file your taxes for free in between Income Tax Clinics, all members of the Canadian Federation of Students (which includes full-time, part-time, undergraduate and graduate students at the University of Toronto) are eligible to use the UFile online filing software for free.
Some of the suggested documents to collect are the following:
We can only file your taxes properly if you bring all the necessary documentation with you to our Clinic.
The following list will help you prepare for having your return completed.
- Your most recent Notice of Assessment (if you have it – would have either received it in the mail (last spring/summer) or can get it from “My Account” if you have this set up). This is only for people who have filed taxes in previous years.
- Your Social Insurance Number (SIN) and, if applicable, your spouse’s SIN.
- A list of your dependents and their exact dates of birth, and their SINs, if they have been issued one.
Many of these slips are available through the Canada Revenue Agency online services. Not every slip applies to each person.
- T4 – Salary and wages (T4 comes from an employer)
- T4A – Scholarships, bursaries
- T4RSP – Registered retirement savings plan
- RC62 – Universal Child Care Benefit
- If you have made income for work in a lump sum this year, bring the breakdown statement from the payor.
Receipts for expenses and credits:
- T778 – Child care expenses and a completed T778
- Union dues
- T2202A – Tuition fees and education amount (you can print this from ROSI)
- Medical expenses (For prescriptions, a printout can be obtained from your pharmacy)
- Charitable or political donations
- All property taxes or rent paid, a lease is not considered a receipt
- Monthly or yearly public transit passes and the receipt of payment
- Details of spouse and dependent income
- Date of arrival to Canada and immigration status (if a new immigrant)
- Any other documentation that may pertain to your income taxes
This is not an inclusive list but gives you an idea of the kinds of documents that you should be gathering and have in your possession before you schedule an appointment.
We can not help you if:
- You have interest income over $1000
- You make more than $40,000 annually
- More than $1000.00 appears in box 48 of the T4 form (please check before making your appointment)
- Bankrupt individuals
- You do not show up for your appointment or you do not bring all the relevant paper work
- People looking to file for family members must have their family members who are older than 18 present at the appointment
Need to change your return?
Wait to receive your notice of assessment from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) before you can make a change to your return.
There are three ways to correct your return once you’ve received your notice of assessment:
• use the “change my return” option found in My Account at www.cra.gc.ca/
• send a completed Form T1-ADJ, T1 Adjustment Request, to your tax centre; or
• send a signed letter to your tax centre asking for an adjustment to your return.
• If you send a letter, make sure to give your name, address, and social insurance number and tell us which tax year you want to adjust. You will also need to provide any supporting documents for your change.
please email email@example.com