Tax Clinic

Once again the UTSU is pleased to offer FREE tax clinics to students. Our on-line registration system will be available soon to book appointments. Mid March we will offer students the ability to file back taxes, back to 2012 by appointment. In late March we will begin to assist student with current year taxes, also by appointment.

What Are We About?

As appointment slots fill up, more slots will open, please continue to check back.

This service will provide free support to help you file your taxes. Sign up to have your one-on-one session with a CVITP volunteer. One appointment booking only. Please have all your tax documents on hand at your appointment and your SIN card. You are eligible to use this service if you earned less than $40,000 in the year of filing. For questions, please email For a list of documents to view, see below to find a suggested document listing. All appointments will be confirmed and you will receive an email confirmation. T4 and T4A slips for active employees will be available to download through Employee Self-Service on Feb. 25. Those who requested paper delivery prior to Jan. 31 will receive their tax slips in the mail.  This applies to students who hold research positions, work study positions and other paid positions at the U of T.

Learn more about filing your taxes here.

Some of the suggested documents to collect are the following:

We can only file your taxes properly if you bring all the necessary documentation with you to our Clinic.

The following list will help you prepare for having your return completed.


  • Your most recent Notice of Assessment (if you have it – would have either received it in the mail (last spring/summer) or can get it from “My Account” if you have this set up). This is only for people who have filed taxes in previous years.
  • Your Social Insurance Number (SIN) and, if applicable, your spouse’s SIN.
  • A list of your dependents and their exact dates of birth, and their SINs, if they have been issued one.

Information Slips

Many of these slips are available through the Canada Revenue Agency online services. Not every slip applies to each person.

  • T4 – Salary and wages (T4 comes from an employer)
  • T4A – Scholarships, bursaries
  • T4RSP – Registered retirement savings plan
  • RC62 – Universal Child Care Benefit
  • If you have made income for work in a lump sum this year, bring the breakdown statement from the payor.

Receipts for expenses and credits:

  • T778 – Child care expenses and a completed T778
  • Union dues
  • T2202A – Tuition fees and education amount (you can print this from ROSI)
  • Medical expenses (For prescriptions, a printout can be obtained from your pharmacy)
  • Charitable or political donations
  • All property taxes or rent paid, a lease is not considered a receipt
  • Monthly or yearly public transit passes and the receipt of payment


  • Details of spouse and dependent income
  • Date of arrival to Canada and immigration status (if a new immigrant)
  • Any other documentation that may pertain to your income taxes

This is not an inclusive list but gives you an idea of the kinds of documents that you should be gathering and have in your possession before you schedule an appointment.

We can not help you if:

  • You are self employed
  • You have interest income over $1000
  • You make more than $40,000 annually
  • More than $1000.00 appears in box 48 of the T4 form (please check before making your appointment)
  • Bankrupt individuals
  • You do not show up for your appointment or you do not bring all the relevant paper work
  • People looking to file for family members must have their family members who are older than 18 present at the appointment

Need to change your return?

Important facts

Wait to receive your notice of assessment from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) before you can make a change to your return.

There are three ways to correct your return once you’ve received your notice of assessment:

• use the “change my return” option found in My Account at, one of the CRA’s secure online services;
• send a completed Form T1-ADJ, T1 Adjustment Request, to your tax centre; or
• send a signed letter to your tax centre asking for an adjustment to your return.
• If you send a letter, make sure to give your name, address, and social insurance number and tell us which tax year you want to adjust. You will also need to provide any supporting documents for your change.


please email